Monday, January 30, 2012

Early Color by Saul Leiter

I am a huge fan of Saul Leiter's work, specifically his Early Color photographs. Leiter made his living as a fashion photographer in the 1950's and 60's but always continued making his own personal work as well. He liked to stroll the streets of New York and capture quiet, solitary moments in the city by observing the urban world without interrupting. He once said, "I spent a great deal of my life being ignored. I was always very happy that way. Being ignored is a great privilege. That is how I think I learned to see what others do not see and to react to situations differently. I simply looked at the world, not really prepared for anything."

His photographs involve innovative compositions, soft focus, reflections, and unexpected viewpoints. He is able to capture still moments in the city that are often overlooked in the chaos of everyday life. His use of fragmentation and reflections creates a depth that the viewer must work through—his photographs are "fragments of endless possibilities." The painterly feel to the images is due both to his formal training as an abstract painter as well as his love for buying expired film that would produce muted color variations within his images.













 

Images via Early Color by Saul Leiter and [Retronaut]





No comments:

Post a Comment